Facts and Tips
- Landscaping accounts for about half the water consumers use at home. Showers account for another 18 percent, while toilets use about 20 percent.
- Showering and bathing are the largest indoor uses (27%) of water domestically.
- The average American uses 140-170 gallons of water per day.
- A leaky faucet can waste 100 gallons a day.
- Water lawns during the early morning hours, or evening when temperatures and wind speed are the lowest. This reduces losses from evaporation.
- Water lawns once per week to create a healthier, deeper root system.
- You can refill an 8-oz glass of water approximately 15,000 times for the same cost as a six-pack of soda pop.